8 weeks prior to moving
- Create a file with a calendar that will keep track of important information that comes in like estimates, contact information, and receipts
- Contact your accountant to confirm what expenses are a legitimate deduction
- Begin your moving plans – contact moving companies.
- Document and take inventory of your belongings prior to packing. Specifically document serial numbers on electronics. Video cameras work well for this.
7 weeks prior to moving
- Transfer school records
- Contact your gym or other memberships that you may need to cancel or transfer to your new location
- Gather medical records and prescription information and prepare them to be transferred
6 weeks prior to moving
- Contact your village hall to determine the best way to dispose of used paints, gasoline, or other toxic products that cannot be thrown away.
- Start planning a yard sale or making arrangements with a local charity to come and remove the items that will not be making the trip with you.
- Make a list of businesses, friends, and relatives who need to be notified of your move
- Make a list of things that are difficult to replace and plan to carry them with you.
5 weeks prior to moving
- Start collecting boxes and other packing supplies. Your local grocery store or department store may be able to help you out.
- Start researching your new community. The internet is a great resource for finding online chambers-of-commerce and community guides.
4 weeks prior to moving
- Open a checking account in your new city to avoid having to use temporary checks or if you’re financial institution has a location in your new city, order new checks.
- Call your newspaper delivery and change address or cancel service
- Contact utility companies to disconnect, transfer, or connect services. Plan to keep your current services through your move date and have new services prior to move date
3 weeks prior to moving
- If you will be driving your vehicles to your new city, consider having your automobiles serviced to be sure they are ready for the trip
- Decide if you will keep your plants or give them away
- Start packing items you don’t use often. Also, start disposing of the items you have designated for a yard sale, donation, or the trash.
- Make sure all library books are returned and that all dry cleaning or items out for repair have been picked up.
2 weeks prior to moving
- Confirm travel arrangements
- Collect valuables from safety deposit boxes. Make copies of important documents before mailing, or hand carry them to your new location
1 week prior to moving
- Finish packing. Prepare a box of important items that you will keep with you at all times. Items like jewelry, medications, passports, birth certificates….
- Drain all gas and oil from mowers and other motors.
- Empty defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day
- Check every room, closet and cabinet one last time before
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Leave doors open